Dec 15, 2013

Do not trust all experts and their tools on internet marketing

Well, I kind of think what I am trying to do here. technosanct was a blog built for some knowledge sharing - the small amounts of which I gain when looking out for solutions for my problems, but equally important - I wanted to check how affiliate marketing (the real mindless ones too) work and whether with my writing skills I have some kind of future somewhere in the near term. So, content here not only includes whatever I find useful for internet, technology and blogging that I come across on my own, but also material I source from my hours of deliberate browsing of the internet to check what others are doing, whether it cuts down on time/money, gains me 100k fans or more. This includes getting advice from bloggers who have apparently been successful, or really successful, or on the verge of being successful. Some of this advice is free, some of them paid and a lot of them promise tools to bring me out of current misery. Sadly search engines or people do not want to go to people who did not quite make it after a lot of writing, key word researching and after some money spent on the experts/expert materials/the like. So as a upcoming (gulp!) blogger, I am lending a hand and giving out advice - get some real advice on internet marketing. All for free, and without scary, shiny buttons in the way. And oh, all in text on this post (and a few others) with no plans to ebookify or podcastify the content.
courtesy: designseoblog

What I discovered in my quest in the past 2-3 months (which does not make me an expert whatsoever) are these:

  • Experts in Internet Marketing always link to other experts, not all naturally and not in the way that comes in the way as advertisement. It may be a nudge to the other blogs/websites, materials that others provide and this expert has decided to use, or how beautiful the relationship between those two experts are. The conversation through linking and back linking made me dizzy sometimes, and I am sure the expertise of all involved (except myself) grew several folds in the meantime
  • Most of this linking is big time affiliate marketing. If you spend more than 6 hours researching for how to get better keywords for your lame blog, you are going to be amazed at what people can do, how beautiful the websites look (images, typography and all), and how easy actually getting a fan following is. Well, you are reminded from time to time that this is all hard work, but overall quality of life is astounding to say the least
  • Expert websites are big landing pages with clear (bold, CLEAR, colorful, shiny) call to action. This call to action is something that you want to buy, to watch videos, subscribe to email lists, and the like
  • The number of ways in which most experts like to help commoners like myself became worrisome. The sheer knowledge propagated through blogs, ebooks, videos, podcasts, knowledge articles, guest posting is mind boggling. After two months of this, I am sure I am finding a pattern somewhere here. But I am not sure whether I am a better person as promised by all the knowledge (may be I am since I raise this question?). If there are too many experts, will not the expertise wane? Or do they follow the adage "share knowledge to gain knowledge"? 

One thing I learnt for sure though, I may try all I want but will not reach this level of expertise needed for making a living out of internet marketing. I will try to remain small (back-end blogger for some more time), not invest (yet) in Genesys framework, or teach others on how to do internet marketing :). (This should be apparent by the above post, but thought of reinforcing the message anyway).

If you are wondering about what to do now there is no advice here at this time. Be cautious about your approach, how much money and time you invest in, and be wary of the experts and their tools.

PS: If you are an expert mentioned above, please do not be offended - I was talking about the other 90% who make the internet a scary place.

No comments:

Post a Comment